5 Ways to Wear a Kaftan - Tips & Style Ideas
Summer is here and it has us all thinking about lazy days on the beach, long family lunches, and sun-dowers with friends. From the Karoo to the Coast, South African summers are nothing short of spectacular.
Kaftans and South African summers are a match made in heaven. So much more than something to wear on the beach, a kaftan is that one dress or top you can wear with salty hair on the beach, next to the pool or while you are sipping a cocktail in heels. There is almost no wrong way to wear it!
Can you tell we are big fans?
Traditionally kaftans have been seen as a “resort wear dress” only for the beach with a 70’s boho-chic feel. Well, that idea of a kaftan has definitely been tossed out the window as kaftans have made a comeback with a modern makeover. Designs are available in a range of beautiful colours, intricate patterns & embellishments to die for, kaftans are now seen on the runways and on A-listers around the world. Your kaftans are no longer just for the beach, but rather that perfectly comfy but surprisingly elegant dress for Summer & Spring.
How to style it?
‘They’ always say you shouldn't buy something unless you can think of 5 things to wear it with that are already in your wardrobe. Well, there is no doubt that a kaftan will go with so much in your closet. If you needed a little styling inspiration or some tips on how you wear your kaftan, here they are:
- Style with a straw hat, ribbon headband or big scrunchy! There is an inherent relaxed look and feel about a kaftan - so embrace it! Whether you are going to the beach, spending the day at the pool, wine-tasting or or going for a picnic, you will strike that perfect balance of a relaxed-chic look.
- Wear your short kaftan over shorts, a skirt, jeans or leggings. Many of us think kaftans can only be worn over a slip, but they look amazing worn as a top. Go for a complementary or neutral colour to get a comfy-chic look in an instant.
- Going out with the girls, date night or a function? Put on those heels darling. Paired with heels and some jewellery, you will turn heads at your next evening out. Kaftans with embellishments or diamante's in particular are a stand out at an evening event.
- Show those curves. Kaftans are often a free size, which means they are perfect to style with a belt, clip or get tailored to be more figure hugging. You can easily accentuate your waist with a few simple accessories or alterations.
- Think it might get chilly? Pair beautifully with a denim jacket in summer, or a long cardigan or leather jacket in the spring months. You don't have to feel restricted to only wear your kaftans on hot sunny days - if you are going to lunch or a semi-formal gathering your kaftan will be a hit!